Indicates the start and end of the rainy season in Malawi from 2000 till 2020 per admin2. This historical dataset was produced as part of OCHA's Anticipatory Action pilot in Malawi. The rainy season onset is defined as the first day of a period after 1 Nov with at least 40mm of rain over 10 days AND no 10 consecutive days with no more than 2mm of total rain in the following 30 days. The rainy cessation is the last day before a 15-day period after 15 March with 25mm or less of rain. The rainy seasons are determined using the CHIRPS dataset, which is raster data. This raster data was aggregated to admin2 by taking the mean value across all raster cells within an admin2. Description of columns:
- pcode: pcode of the admin2, retrieved from the COD administrative boundaries
- ADM2_EN: name of the admin2, retrieved from the COD administrative boundaries
- Season_approx: the start year of the rainy season.
- Onset_date: the start date of the rainy season according to the definition described above. NA indicates that the onset_date fell in a period that the dataset did not cover . This is the case for the season starting in 1999 since the months of October-December 1999 are not included in this 2000-2020 dataset.
- Onset_month: the month of the onset_date
- Cessation_date: the end date of the rainy season according to the definition described above. A indicates that the cessation_date fell in a period that the dataset did not cover. This is the case for the season starting in 2020, since the months of January 2021-June 2021 are not included in this 2000-2020 dataset.
- Cessation_month: the month of the cessation_date.
- Rainy_season_duration: the number of days between onset_date and cessation_date.
- Rainy_season_rainfall: the total rainfall in millimeters between onset_date and cessation_date.