- The purpose of HDX platform is to enable the sharing of data across the humanitarian community. Humanitarian data is defined as: 1) data about the context in which a humanitarian crisis is occurring (e.g., baseline/development data, damage assessments, geospatial data); 2) data about the people affected by the crisis and their needs; and 3) data about the response by organisations and people seeking to help those who need assistance.
- Only approved organisations are able to share data through the platform.
- HDX does not allow data that includes personally identifiable information (PII) to be shared publicly through the site. All data shared publicly must be sufficiently aggregated or anonymized so as to prevent identification of people or other harm to affected people and the humanitarian community. We do allow data that is shared privately within an organization's membership to include some personal information, such as contact information for humanitarian responders.
- HDX endeavors not to allow publicly shared data that includes community identifiable information (CII) or demographically identifiable information (DII) that may put affected people at risk. However, this type data is more challenging to identify within datasets during our quality assurance process without deeper analysis. We invite HDX users to notify us should they become aware of this type of data being shared through the site.
Organisations sharing data through the platform should ensure, to the extent possible, that all data was collected in a legal, ethical and responsible manner, including:
- Obtaining informed consent from individuals or communities when possible.
- When informed consent cannot be obtained, that data is gathered with appropriate safeguards, including a privacy impact assessment.
- Efforts were made to avoid duplication of data collection in order to avoid an unnecessary burden by affected individuals and communities.
- Organisations have the option to share data publicly or privately through the platform. Public data can be shared under a user-selected Creative Commons license or as public domain. Private data will only be accessible to members of the organisation.
- Data shared privately through the platform will never be shared by OCHA as platform administrator without consent. Private data will be held securely and regular checks will be run on the HDX system to test for breaches.
- Should a user become aware of data shared through the HDX platform that could cause harm by being shared openly, the user should contact email@example.com immediately to request that the data be removed.
- Users can share both curated and uncurated data through the platform. We will aim to make the level of data validation clear through the user interface in future iterations of HDX.
- Data shared through the HDX platform will be held indefinitely or until such a time that the data contributor deletes it, or there is a request from a user for it to be deleted. In the latter case, the user would have to provide a convincing reason (e.g. privacy) and possibly also supporting evidence for the claim.
- If a data source becomes aware of data that has been shared through the HDX platform by a third party and disagrees with it being shared, the data source should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request that the data be removed.
- If OCHA as system administrator of the HDX platform becomes aware of any data that is in violation of these Terms of Service, OCHA will contact the individual or organization to notify them.
- The designations employed and the presentation of material on this website do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries. Data used to represent international boundaries in HDX provided by the UN Cartographic Section except where noted otherwise.
- Emails sent to the HDX mailing list (administered by MailChimp) may contain web beacons, which allow us to track information about how many people have viewed our email campaigns. HDX will never share individually-identifiable information from this tracking to third parties. The data collected by this tracking system will be retained indefinitely in order to understand how readership of the emails is changing over time.
OCHA may modify these terms or any additional terms that apply to the HDX platform to reflect changes to our services. Users should look at the terms regularly. OCHA will post notice of modifications to these terms. If you do not agree to these terms, you should discontinue use of the HDX platform.